Have you ever wondered how quadcopters, which are multi-rotor manage to fly? This is all down to a flight controller sending commands to little devices called ESC, or Electronic Speed Controller. The process of doing so starts with the aircraft’s flight controller which receives the pilots remote control, then translates them into digital commands which it sends to the ESC. The ESC in turn control one motor.
There are several types of ESC protocol and ESC firmware available for quadcopter. The 4in1 ESC integrate all 4 ESC needed for a quadcopter in a single board. It definitely does help wiring simplicity.
One example of a high end 4in1 ESC is the Helifar XRAPTOR 4in1 ESC. A top notch build quality from Helifar running BLHeli_32 firmware, easy to work with, and performance is just impeccable!
The Helifar 4in1 Xraptor has impressive figures of 40A in each of its 4 ESCs, when most habitual ESCs in drones are 25 or 30A with an input voltage of 2 to 4S.
BLHeli is an ESC firmware, and BLHeli_32 is the 3rd generation after BLHeli and BLHeli_S. BLHeli_32 is written for ESC‘s that utilize 32-bit MCU (STM32F0 Cortex-M0 at 48MHz), is a rewrite of open source BLHeli and BLHeli_S that runs on 8-bit processors like Atmel or Silabs ESC’s.
The previous BLHeli and BLHeli_S are open source, however the developers have decided to close source the new 32bit firmware. Their names might maintain the same prefix, but we were told BLHeli_32 has been created from scratch.
The most exciting news about the Helifar 4in1 Xraptor platform is the possibility of future functionality and features that simply wasn’t possible on 8bit ESC’s or individual 32 bit ESC, including:
- Powerful 4-in-1 ESC with BLHELI-32 firmware natively supports ESC telemetry function, allow configuring from FC using DShot commands.
- Support Dshot 1200 in default out from the factory.
- Support Oneshot42, Oneshot125, Multishot, Dshot150, Dshot300 and Dshot600.
- Suitable for more than 180mm wheelbase frames, E.g 180mm 200mm 210mm 220mm 230mm, etc.
- The current sensor allows you to view the data’s returns of working current.
- Engine-style metal cooling plate, dissipating heat of MOS transistors, with higher heat dissipation efficiency.
- High quality 4in1 40A ESC lighter than 4 separate ESCs
- 470uF capacitor, controller cable and high quality XT60 connector included.
- It’s easier to wire, there’s only one heavy gauge power input. No power distribution board needed.
- Only one BEC, no worry of weight from the additional circuits.
- Mass central to airframe keeps weight close to your axis of rotation and not blocking thrust from your props
- Supports BLHeli 32 firmware, which has a huge amount of options
- Central point of failure. Sure, it’s cheaper than buying 4 ESCs, but now if you blow one MOSFTET you now have to buy an entire new 4in1ESC
- Due ESC to the center of your airframe you may run out of room in small setups.